Us.

Us.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

TJ's Story

Every baby deserves to have the story of their birth written and remembered. TJ's story just happens to be a pretty exciting one.

My mom arrived on my 37th week. I was having regular contractions morning, noon, and night so we were all SO thankful that she was here. But I still wasn't ready - nursery wasn't complete, the crib was still in the box (and truthfully STILL is!), clothes to be sorted and washed, etc. Mom helped organize me and chased FC around while I tried to get things done. It was pretty clear that I desperately needed an IKEA trip so we made plans to make it an adventure for FC on Friday, July 12th.

The morning of our big shopping trip I felt nothing out of the ordinary...not a single contraction since the day before. We loaded up FC and double checked our shopping lists so that we could "grab and go" quickly - you know how short a 15 month old's attention span can be! As we pulled into IKEA's parking lot I started to feel some contractions that I thought were fairly strong. Having been induced with FC I wasn't for sure what real labor would be like. My nurse on-call assured me that the contractions would need to be regularly happening at set intervals and that I probably wouldn't be able to talk or walk when the contractions were serious enough to go to the hospital. OKAY! I was fine then. We shopped. I contracted. I didn't pay attention because they didn't hurt too bad and I was definitely still walking and talking. As we started home I mentioned to Mom that maybe she should help me keep track because the contractions weren't going away. Well, the contractions had no regular intervals or duration. But they were starting to hurt. However, I could still talk and I was fairly certain I could still walk because I was driving the car! That changed quickly as we were pulling into our subdivision. I could still walk and talk (barely) so I managed to change FC's diaper and put her down for her nap. I called John and told him to head home. Then. I. Lost. It. Within a few minutes I was pretty sure I would be giving birth in our home if we didn't go NOW. So my dear, wonderful, saintly mother (I owe you big, Mom - I know!!) scooped FC out of her bed and began driving me to the hospital.

But WAIT...it gets better. Her first question to me: "How do we get there?". I had no idea how to get to the hospital! John and I were going to "trial run it" the next day. But, thank you Google Maps, the hospital was found. I groaned in the front seat, worried I'd scare my other baby in the back seat. I cussed at red lights and slow people in the fast lane. I snapped at my poor Mom. But we made it. Barely...

I was worried about my sensitive FC's take on all this so I told Mom to drop me at the front door - she literally rolled up, I jumped out, hobbled in, and Mom drove away. The front desk staff offered me directions to labor and delivery, but the next sounds they heard coming from my mouth made it clear that I would need assistance. The lady wheeled me to where I needed to be...my greeting to the floor nurses was, "I need an epidural. I know I'm close. Call anesthesia now because I know it can take them awhile to get here." My head nurse assured me I probably had time. I assured her I did not. "I'm not a natural girl! I promise!!". I was checked and the nurse darted from the room. I was worried! She came back and said she ran to tell my anesthesiologist to hurry - she didn't know if I'd have time for meds. Ughh. I am NOT a natural girl. Now I really wanted my husband there - I started asking random nurses flowing in and out of my room if they has seen a "lost Asian man wandering around".  Anesthesiology showed up about the same time John walked in the door. So thankful to see him. My anesthesiologist. I told John to stop smiling through gritted teeth and pain. Meds were in and my OB had arrived. My doctor told me that I might have 10 minutes before it'd be time to push. YAY - I was so excited to meet my TJ!

In less than 10 minutes it was time and two pushes later Trenton Jameson Lindgren was welcomed into the world at 4:44 P.M.. He weighed 7.4 pounds and measured 21 inches long. We were so very happy. The delivery was such an easy one that the room quickly cleared. It was bliss to watch my son open his eyes for the first time, to nurse quietly and calmly, and to feel him snuggle into our arms with such contentment. Love at first sight.

TJ is another undeserved blessing in our life that God entrusted to us. We love you TJ and thank God every day for you!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment